Nurture Twitter https://twitter.com/AHS_Nurture
NURTURE GROUP - THE EAGLES
The Eagles is a small supportive teacher led group supported by a learning support assistant (LSA) and a lead intervention teaching assistant (TA). The group primarily addresses the challenge of transition from often very small primary schools to a large secondary school environment for the most vulnerable learners. It also helps to ensure students are given the academic, social and emotional support they need at this hugely significant transition point. The students are carefully selected according to their individual holistic profile of needs identified from primary school and parents/carers, as well as using the Boxall Profile and commercially available assessment methods. A specific tailored and structured induction process is put in place for all students.
To ensure our nurture students continue to make academic progress we have created a unique curriculum that teaches core knowledge and social and emotional skills. The nurture centre is solely for our most vulnerable students, providing both a safe and secure environment.
The group incorporates the six principles of nurture:
- Children’s learning is understood developmentally
- The classroom offers a safe base
- The importance of nurture for the development of self-esteem
- Language is a vital means of communication
- All behaviour is communication
- The importance of transition in children’s lives.
Our aim is to:
- Improve attendance and attainment by building confidence and self-esteem;
- Support parents and carers to become real partners in education;
- Empower staff as they see the progress the students are making;
- Promote inclusion, making Aylsham High School a place where all children can flourish;
- Teach students how to make good relationships with adults and with each other;
- Ensure students have the opportunity to return to our mainstream setting.
Our provision achieved the Marjorie Boxall Quality Mark Award in 2018, which recognises excellence in nurturing.