The cost of school meals rose from £2.35 to £2.40 a day from September 19. The school lunches provide a very good value two course, nutritionally balanced meal.
The most convenient way to pay for all food is via ParentPay.
Free School Meals
From 1 April 2018, the criteria for Free School Meals has been updated to reflect the introduction of Universal Credit and the phasing out of other income based benefits.
Local Authorities, Academies and Free Schools have a duty to provide free school meals to pupils of all ages. Free School Meals are available to pupils in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
• Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
• Income Support
• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The guarantee element of Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (providing the family is not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
• Working Tax Credit run on – paid for four weeks after a claimant stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
In addition the following pupils will be protected against losing their free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out:
• From 1 April 2018, all existing free school meal pupils will continue to receive free school meals
• Any child gaining eligibility for free school meals after 1 April 2018 will be protected
Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out (expected to be complete in March 2022) any existing claimant that no longer meets the eligibility criteria will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education (i.e. primary or secondary).
Applying for Free School Meals
To apply for Free School Meals please click here
The Free School Meals Team can be contacted on 01603 222518 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice and guidance.